Monday, April 19, 2010

On why this blog won't be like Kotaku

This blog is essentially a verbal and cognitive release of my own ideas percolating in my head from exposures to life, work and video gaming. It seems like common sense, but keeping something in your head (or, at least, never talking about or writing stuff down) is not always the best way to test out ideas. The way I see it, and this is based on my many many years in academia from the middle school era to the present day graduate level, everyone needs to develop a set of heuristics, or a rule set, in order to do something well or to accumulate "experience" in some field. For example, if you're learning how to master a game concept (say, developing a worthy strategy around the rigid structure of the Left 4 Dead and/or Left 4 Dead 2 finales), the only way most people will ever do well is to get in there, make a mess of things, and struggle with it a bit till they hit the sweet spot (sure, you might pick up a strategy guide, but there's no fun in that!).

Well, I might check out the forums for that particular game to learn the ins and outs, but gaming is all about the fun of trial and error.

Taking the gaming analogy to the self-expressive world, my personal ambition with this blog is to show video games through the weird, pulsating flashlight that is my brain. No doubt I'll be saying stuff that many will find obvious, insipid, dull or ludicrous but I do hope to spark a few electrons here and there (the ones working the nerves in the brain, that is, always keep your stuff grounded people!).

This blog isn't Kotaku because:

1. I don't have THAT much time on my hands.
2. I'm not as comprehensive as Kotaku, especially not for the consoles; this be as PC-exclusive as can be as I do not own any consoles (computers dedicated exclusively for gaming, bah!).
3. The stuff I talk about is a bit more personal and, given the disclaimer above, hopefully more though-provoking into what makes us humans who we are. I'm most definitely not a psychology major, but I ain't the bluntest knife in the first melee weapon slot of your typical RPG-esque inventory, too. Don't let that scare you off though folks, I promise to keep this as exclusive of boring details as possible.

And to keep the promise I made in Part #3, I'll do a good post of the library of my Steam account sometime later!

No comments:

Post a Comment