Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On Darthcaboose's (that's me) Steam Library

Ola everyone (no I'm not Hispanic). Here's the Library of games I got on my Steam library. Note that the vast majority of the titles were purchased during many of the ridiculously cheap Steam weekend deals; so while there are quite a few titles, most of them didn't cost me more than $5. In all, I'd value all the games here at under $300; with an average of $0.25 in cost/hour (and that number's always going down, until I buy a new expensive title).


Wow, this looks tiny; but it's two subsections of my Steam Library split into two different images placed side-by-side. I'm lazy and usually end up using WYSIWYG programs when I want to do silly stuff like place images of my Steam library online.

In my favorites, you can barely see a few of Valve's best recent titles on there, in particular Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 1 + 2, as well as a few non-Valve titles that I've come to love, including the excellent Torchlight from Runic Entertainment as well as Global Agenda from Georgia-based Hi-Rez Studios (of course, being the poor and destitute college student I am, I am not paying the subscription for that game).

At the bottom on the right-side image you can see I bought the ~$5 X-COM pack that was recently on sale on Steam. Gotta say, never had played the series but am glad I did. I'm a big fan of middle-to-high-end complexity strategy games that don't pamper you with a tutorial, forcing you to try stuff out, fail miserably, search online for a wiki and adapt from there. Of course, all those steps are fun, fun, fun; the point of optimizing electronic play!

With the exception of Guild Wars (never really got into it), I'm not a huge MMO fan. Too much of a time sink, and the inability to stop the game at your own convenience (park your character/toon/spaceship into the nearest inn/city/spaceport before you can log off, as well as the whole raiding and grouping issue) is not conducive to my own busy schedule. I was a big WoW junkie during the first two years of college and, well, I'm sure you can guess WHY I ended up quitting. I've found other MMOs to be interesting, though, particularly Eve Online by Iceland's CCP (doing quite well despite the active volcano there) which can be described as a futuristic spaceship MMO with a fantastic Spreadsheet-esque economy. My only issue is the cost; I'm paying $14.95 a month to PLAY a game which takes a lot of time to play and doesn't earn me money in the end... Meh...

So, now you have my list, and no, I ain't gonna tells ya my Steam ID.

Well, introduction aside, where do we go from here? I dunno... if anyone's reading this, post a comment below if you'd like me to write about a favorite game of yours. I'm thinking about writing a bit about a little-known game that recently came out called Distant Worlds. What is Distant Worlds, you ask? Well, you'll just have to wait & find out later!


No comments:

Post a Comment