Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On Shortness: Max Payne for $2.50

Ahh shortness. You've probably noticed I use long sentences. People say it's because it makes me look smart. Others think it's because I just got so much to say in so little time. I think I do so because long sentences make the alpha male. Being alpha male all the time is tiring. I let someone else be alpha male for while so I can do whatever it is beta males do.

For this blog post, I will use short sentences for this one. See how it goes. Mebbe is easier to read. Remember, this blog is as much an attempt to convey awesomness of video games to you as it is a scratchpad for my own writing technique! Anyway...

Yesterday I bought Max Payne for $2.50. It was part of the Rockstar Week on Steam. I heard many great things about this game before, but never tried it till now (Whoops, a comma... double Whoops, a sentence in parentheses!). Game is fun. Bullet time is fun. Narrative is interesting thanks to interesting use of in-game scenes as well as comics. Levels feel way too linear and short though. If structure of levels were released today, might be comparable to how some Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 co-op levels feel like.

Rockstar is going with a 3 hour sales frenzy on Steam, where they dictate a game in their list, chop the price by 75% or so and give the user but 3 hours to scramble to purchase the game. I was reading through the GTA series forums and found a post of someone complaining that they weren't able to buy GTA IV because they were still at school. Given the rating of the game, I think Rockstar did a good job there. Business is business though.

Anyway, I got to get to class. Will have next Distant Worlds part up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment